Tuesday, 1 November 2011

Happy Hallowe'en

Tiddler's nursery had a 'witches and wizards day' to celebrate Hallowe'en. I usually forget about dress-up days but I was determined to remember this time and to produce a costume.

I bought a 'ghoul robe' from Clinton's which I had to chop about a bit to make fit. The cape started off as a cobweb scarf from the 99p store and I used the chopped off bits from the robe to make thecollar/ties. I found a cheap dress in the 99p store which had a multicoloured cobweb patterned skirt so I chopped this up and stitched the cobwebs onto the robe and the hat.

I'm quite pleased at how it turned out but I'm hoping it'll last for a few years so I don't have to go to all that effort again for a while!

Edited to add: This post should have been published on 31st Oct but Blogger ate it and I had to re do it so perhaps it should now be entitled 'Happy 1st November' instead).


Thursday, 4 August 2011

The Gallery: Birth

This week's Gallery subject is 'Birth'.

I'm going for the obvious, but no nicely washed and presented babies here - just the before, during and after of Tiddler's entry into the world. Perhaps not for the squeamish!




 The things we do to have our kids!


Tuesday, 31 May 2011

Ta Da - My Roxanne Mystery Shawl!

My Roxanne Mystery Shawl is finished!

Here she is with a couple of detailed photo's too:

I used Abstract Cat's 100% Bluefaced Leicester Sock Yarn in colourway 'Soiree'. I started on 4mm needles but didn't like how it was looking so started over again on 3.75mm needles instead.

There were quite a few errors in the pattern but other KAL-ers had discovered these before I got that far into the pattern so they didn't cause me any problems.

Two new techniques for me with this pattern: a garter tab cast on and cables, both of which are easy if you look them up on You Tube first!

I do like mystery knits! I think I might try a mystery sock knitalong next.


Friday, 27 May 2011

New Post over on Non-neurotypical Nipper

Nipper thinks I've got four eyes! You can read about it here.


Friday, 20 May 2011

Bloggers' Quilt Festival 2011 - Baby Quilt

I've just finished a quilt in time for the Blogger's Quilt Festival 2011.

Our lovely friends Richard and Emily are expecting their first baby in August. I wanted to give them something handmade that could be used for a long time. Baby knits are lovely but babies grow too fast! I figured a quilt/playmat would fit the bill.

As usual I gave myself a headache with this project by buying the fabric before planning the quilt. One of these days I'll actually plan the quilt before the purchase (actually I probably won't!). I spent a couple of evenings mulling over how I was going to fashion my fabric into a usable item but I got there in the end. I think I prefer 'winging it' projects rather than following someone elses design really. I must do otherwise I wouldn't keep on doing it!

I took photos and made notes along the way so as and when I find the notes I'll blog the process. The fabric is 100% cotton with sashing made from 100% cotton sheeting (bought in Primark for a fraction of the cost of yardage in a fabric shop). The back is also plain white cotton sheeting. The batting is a cotton/bamboo mix with an eigth of an inch loft. The design is 'Farmyard Corne'r by Makower and I can't remember where I bought it (but it would have been an online, UK based, fabric supplier).

I can't get a walking foot for my machine so quilting is a bit tricky. For this quilt I just stiched 'squares' around the animal pictures. I'm not explaining that very well but you can see what I mean if you look closely at the photo. This way I didn't get any puckering.

I'm really pleased with how it turned out. It's not perfect but, to me, that's the beauty of handmade. I know it'll be loved as much as I loved making it.


Tuesday, 10 May 2011

Roxanne Clue 2 and a Moebius Cast-on

I've finished Clue 2 of my mystery shawl and I'm now partway through Clue 3. After all my stressing about cables they turned out to be a doddle in the end.

The same can't be said for my 'between clues' project. I'd finished Clue 2 but hadn't yet received Clue 3 so was feeling a bit twitchy and needed something new to knit (no idea why I couldn't have finished one of my other wips!).

I found this pattern for a felted bowl with a moebius edge and decided to have a go with my favourite 'love to hate' yarn (Noro!). After attempting, and finally managing, a moebius cast-on I will never stress about a new knitting challenge ever again! I appeared to be knitting from the inside of the moebius loop outwards and was sure that I was doing something wrong - but apparantly not! The turquoise yarn in the centre is where I cast on.

I just kept knitting in the hope that all would be revealed and it was! I just need to stitch the bowl and the edge together and then felt it. Very exciting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...