Monday 8 September 2008

Sock Update

Quick update on sock progress.

Since I couldn't get hold of any short dpns I had to buy long ones. I didn't think this would be too much of a problem as when I knit I tuck one needle under my right arm for stability. I couldn't see how I was going to manage on short needles - especially using 5 at once! This is how far I got using the long dpns:

I was doing ok but they did keep sticking me in the stomach, and when the 'shorts' arrived I was amazed at how much easier it was and I soon got the hang of balancing them all. For some reason my sock is knitting up inside out. I checked out an online video and the person knitting looked like she was doing it sort of upside down and back to front! I guess that I'm the one doing it the wrong way round but it seems to be ok.

I managed to get to the end of the heel flap and then got stuck when turning the heel. My pattern had a 4 row repeat for the heel turn but I couldn't do the repeat as I ran out of stitches. I posted a question to the lovely, helpful people on the forums at Angel Yarns and was quickly advised that I only needed to do rows 3 and 4 as a repeat. This then made perfect sense! Unfortunately I had pulled back the heel and most of the heel flap too as I'd convinced myself I'd done that wrong as well. Oh ye of little faith! The heel flap was fine! Still, it gave me extra practice!

I managed to turn the heel and pick up and knit my stitches for the gussets. The pattern then told me to redistribute my stitches over the 4 needles again. I did this but ended up with my working thread halfway along a needle - hmmm? Another question to the forum and I was soon sorted again! Now I'm just short of the toes:

(Please excuse my foot!)

How exciting - I've nearly finished my first sock! I'm pretty pleased at how it's going and think I'm doing ok for a novice. Can't wait to start the next one (how long till 'second sock syndrome' sets in I wonder??)

Edit: For the finished article see this post.

Share/Bookmark

8 comments:

  1. hiya...nice of you to pop in!

    Wow loving the sock......i'm ssoooooo rubbish at knitting!

    like the blog name...and we do say that up norht...very very true!


    going tatas now see you later!!xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, thanks for visiting me earlier :) I'm impressed with the socks....I havent progressed past scarves yet!! Still no sleep - we had 2 up at 1.45am last night!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The socks are looking goodt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!
    Thank you for that.....i just have this sense of old fashioed duty and care over ppl!
    Makes me feel dreadful when things have to come to an end.....she is peacefully napping...bless her, i like to check every 15 mins or so...as she is in the quiet room....just her and i today, should have my niece but she is having a goodbye tea for one of my mums children who is going to school...so she will go there after school today.....glad one of them is related! get to see her loads then!! yippee!!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tilly - glad you decided to tackle socks - what were you so afraid of - they're looking brill!

    Sal x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on the sock. I am in awe of those who can use four needles! I can barely use two....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...